Tuesday, 22 June 2021
Private Health Insurance Legislation Amendment (Age of Dependants) Bill 2021; Second Reading
I will now deal with amendments circulated by the Australian Greens. The question is that the second reading amendments on sheets 1263 and 1240, circulated by the Greens, be agreed to.
Australian Greens' circulated amendments—
(1) Page 2 (after line 11), after clause 3, insert:
4 Review of the operation of amendments
(1) The Minister must cause an independent review to be conducted of the operation of the amendments made by this Act.
(2) The review must start as soon as practicable, and in any event within 1 month, after the end of 18 months after this Act commences.
(3) The persons who conduct the review must give the Minister a written report of the review within 6 months of the commencement of the review.
(4) The persons who conduct the review must consult with disability advocacy organisations, people with a disability, and other relevant stakeholders on matters considered in the review.
(5) Without limiting subsections (1) and (3), the review and report must consider:
(a) the implementation and effect of reforms made by the amendments in this Act; and
(b) the results of consultation under subsection (4); and
(c) the operation of the definition of dependent person with a disability inserted into the Private Health Insurance Act 2007 by this Act.
(6) The Minister must cause a copy of the report of the review to be tabled in each House of the Parliament within 15 sitting days of that House after the report is given to the Minister.
(1) Schedule 1, item 20, page 5 (lines 26 to 28), omit subparagraph (b)(i) of the definition of dependent person with a disability in clause 1 of Schedule 1, substitute:
(i) a person with any limitation, restriction or impairment which restricts everyday activities and has lasted, or is likely to last, for at least six months; or