Monday, 15 June 2020
Crimes Legislation Amendment (Sexual Crimes Against Children and Community Protection Measures) Bill 2019; In Committee
by leave—I move:
(1) Clause 2, page 3 (table item 16), omit "Schedule 14", substitute "Schedules 14 and 15".
(2) Page 53 (after line 30), at the end of the Bill, add:
Schedule 15—Review of sentencing for Commonwealth child sex offences
1 Review of sentencing for Commonwealth child sex offences
(1) The Attorney-General must cause a review to be undertaken of the first 3 years of the operation of the following provisions of Part IB (sentencing, imprisonment and release of federal offenders) of the Crimes Act 1914, as amended by this Act, in relation to Commonwealth child sex offences (within the meaning of that Act):
(a) Divisions 2 to 4;
(b) Subdivision D of Division 5;
(c) Divisions 6 to 9;
(d) Division 1, to the extent that it relates to a provision covered by paragraph (a), (b) or (c) of this subitem.
(2) The review must be undertaken by one or more persons who, in the Attorney-General's opinion, possess appropriate qualifications to undertake the review.
(3) The person or persons undertaking the review must give the Attorney-General a written report of the review within 12 months after the end of the 3-year period.
(4) The Attorney-General must cause a copy of the report of the review to be laid before each House of the Parliament within 15 sitting days of that House after its receipt by the Attorney-General.