Wednesday, 6 September 2017
I seek leave to amend general business notice of motion No. 448 standing in my name for today, relating to a change to standing orders.
I move the motion as amended:
(1) That the Senate notes that:
(a) senators need to exercise their valuable right to freedom of speech in a responsible manner to ensure balanced discussion; and
(b) the actions of senators may have serious implications for individuals and groups within the Australian community and may diminish the social cohesion that is essential to our national character.
(2) That the Senate notes the following proposal to amend standing order 193 and for this amendment to operate as a temporary order from the first sitting day in October 2017, until the second sitting day of 2018:
at the end of standing order 193, add:
(4) Adverse reflections on an individual or community on the basis of colour, national or ethnic origin, culture or religious belief are highly disorderly.
(5) A senator shall contribute to debate in a manner which upholds the honour of public office and the Parliament.
(3) That this proposal be referred to the Procedure Committee for consideration and report by Wednesday, 15 November 2017.
Question agreed to.