Thursday, 25 September 2008
Voluntary Student Unionism
- That the Senate—
- recognises that university enrolments for 2009 are due to begin in the week beginning 28 September 2008 around the country;
- the summary report, The impact of voluntary student unionism on services, amenities and representation for Australian university students, dated April 2008, that specifically highlighted the devastating impact voluntary student unionism (VSU) has had on the quality of student support services on campuses across the country,
- the alternative solutions to the current system of VSU put forward by a number of key stakeholders, including a proposal based on a combination of shared funding arrangements between students, universities and government, and
- the Government’s commitment to restoring essential student services and representation; and
- calls on the Minister for Education (Ms Gillard) to confirm before enrolments for the 2009 university calendar commence, that the current system of VSU will be scrapped to address the regressive impact VSU has had on student services and the educational experience, to ensure any change in legislation is in place before 2010.