Wednesday, 28 February 2007
International Women’S Day
At the request of Senator Nettle, I move:
- That the Senate:
- notes that:
- 8 March is International Women’s Day,
- International Women’s Day is now an official holiday in Armenia, Russian Federation, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Bulgaria, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Macedonia, Moldova, Mongolia, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan and Vietnam, and
- recent average weekly earnings data from the Australian Bureau of Statistics show that female earnings are 66 per cent of male earnings; and
- calls on the Government to:
- take immediate action to address wage discrepancies between Australian men and women,
- reinstate the Office for the Status of Women in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet, and
- repeal the WorkChoices legislation, which is disadvantaging female workers.
Mr Deputy President, can I have it noted that my fellow Greens senators supported that motion.