This data was produced by OpenAustralia from a variety of sources.
Voting record (from They Vote For You)
How James Paterson voted on key issues since 2006:
- Voted very strongly for same sex marriage. votes
- Voted strongly against increasing scrutiny of asylum seeker management. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing trade unions' powers in the workplace. votes
- Voted moderately for implementing refugee and protection conventions. votes
- Voted a mixture of for and against voluntary student union fees. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing protection of Australia's fresh water. votes
- Voted very strongly for regional processing of asylum seekers. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing marine conservation. votes
- Voted very strongly for unconventional gas mining. votes
- Voted very strongly against restricting foreign ownership. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing investment in renewable energy. votes
- Voted very strongly against more scrutiny of intelligence services & police. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing Aboriginal land rights. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing funding for university education. votes
- Voted very strongly against increasing protection of Aboriginal heritage sites. votes
- Voted very strongly for live animal exports. votes
- Voted very strongly for decreasing availability of welfare payments. votes
- Voted moderately against increasing restrictions on gambling. votes
- Voted very strongly against encouraging Australian-based industry. votes
- Voted very strongly for increasing surveillance powers. votes
- Voted very strongly against decreasing ABC and SBS funding. votes
Read about how the voting record is decided.
- Never rebels against their party in this parliament.
- Petitions: Israel: Relocation of Australian Embassy (5 Dec 2017)
“by leave—I want to rise just very briefly to say why I've tabled this petition today on behalf of Australian Christians for Israel, a community group in Australia that has organised a petition signed by 8,133 Australians calling on the Australian government to move our embassy in Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. This group is a fantastic community group in Australia led by Keith...”
- Bills: Treasury Laws Amendment (Reducing Pressure on Housing Affordability Measures No. 1) Bill 2017, First Home Super Saver Tax Bill 2017; Second Reading (4 Dec 2017)
“Senator Cameron, I hope you feel appropriately chastised after that speech from Senator Steele-John for your apparent impotence in this debate. Perhaps you will have the opportunity in due course. I'll come back to Senator Steele-John's comments in a moment, but, before I do, I want to put on the record, as others have done in this debate, why I share the concern held by many that this is a...”
- Questions without Notice: Take Note of Answers: Prime Minister, Registered Organisations (4 Dec 2017)
“In a moment I'll respond directly to Senator Cameron's continued campaign of intimidation, smears and innuendo—a false campaign based on no or little evidence. But first I want to make one general observation. One of the things that has genuinely surprised me in my short time here in this place is the propensity—in fact enthusiasm—on the part of some colleagues to play the...”
Please note that numbers do not measure quality. Also, Senators may do other things not currently covered by this site. (More about this)
- Has spoken in 70 debates in the last year — average amongst Senators.
- People have made 0 comments on this Senator's speeches — below average amongst Senators.
- 3 people are tracking whenever this Senator speaks — email me whenever James Paterson speaks.
- Has used three-word alliterative phrases (e.g. "she sells seashells") 90 times in debates — below average amongst Senators. (Why is this here?)