Thursday, 5 December 2019
Australian Crime Commission Amendment (Special Operations and Special Investigations) Bill 2019; In Committee
As foreshadowed, I move amendment (1) on sheet 8663:
(1) Page 2 (after line 11), after clause 3, insert:
4 Review of this Act
(1) The Minister must cause an independent review to be conducted of the operation of the amendments made by this Act.
(2) The review must be commenced as soon as practicable after the end of 12 months after this Act commences.
(3) The persons who conduct the review must give the Minister a written report of the review within 6 months of the commencement of the review.
(4) The Minister must cause a copy of the report to be tabled in each House of Parliament within 15 sitting days of that House after the report is given to the Minister.
This amendment, of course, relates to a review of the operation of the act. Unlike the Labor Party, who have an undertaking for a review—which means nothing—the proper place to put this is into statute. Let's have a statutory review to look at how these particular provisions are being used, because they involve inhibiting the rights and freedoms of Australians, without much in the way of—