Monday, 13 February 2017
That the Senate—
(a) notes the spectacular failure of privatisation of the electricity network in South Australia; and
(b) calls on the Federal Government to explain its own failures, as well as those of the national regulator, the Australian Energy Market Operator, to ensure reliability of electricity supply in South Australia.
With respect to networks, the Australian Energy Regulator, in their benchmarking studies, have consistently found that privately owned networks are more efficient and productive than government owned ones. Regarding generation, at the time of the blackout wind was supplying around 2.5 per cent of demand. Had wind been producing at its capacity, it would have supplied over half of South Australia's electricity needs and there would have been around 1,400 megawatts of spare capacity. The other 97.5 per cent was being met by gas fired generation and brown coal from Victoria.
Question agreed to.