Thursday, 27 June 2013
Cyber Safety Select Committee; Appointment
I seek leave to amend government business notice of motion No. 1.
I move the motion as amended:
(1) That a select committee, to be known as the Select Committee on Cyber Safety be appointed to inquire into and report on options for addressing the issue of sexting by minors.
(2) That the committee present its final report on or before 30 August 2013.
(3) That the committee consist of 6 senators, 3 to be nominated by the Leader of the Government in the Senate, 2 to be nominated by the Leader of the Opposition in the Senate, and 1 to be nominated by minority groups or independents.
(4) That the committee may proceed to the dispatch of business notwithstanding that all members have not been duly nominated and appointed and notwithstanding any vacancy.
(5) That the committee elect as chair one of the members nominated by the Leader of the Government in the Senate.
(6) That the chair of the committee may, from time to time, appoint another member of the committee to be the deputy chair of the committee, and that the member so appointed act as chair of the committee at any time when there is no chair or the chair is not present, at a meeting of the committee.
(7) That, in the event of an equality of voting, the chair, or the deputy chair when acting as chair, have a casting vote.
(8) That the quorum of the committee be 3 members.
(9) That the committee and any subcommittee have power to send for and examine persons and documents, to move from place to place, to sit in public or in private, notwithstanding any prorogation of the Parliament or dissolution of the House of Representatives, and have leave to report from time to time its proceedings and the evidence taken and such interim recommendations as it may deem fit.
(10) That the committee have power to appoint subcommittees consisting of 3 or more of its members, and to refer to any such subcommittee any of the matters which the committee is empowered to consider, and that the quorum of a subcommittee be a majority of the senators appointed to the subcommittee.
(11) That the committee be provided with all necessary staff, facilities and resources and be empowered to appoint persons with specialist knowledge for the purposes of the committee with the approval of the President.
(12) That the committee be empowered to print from day to day such documents and evidence as may be ordered by it, and a daily Hansard be published of such proceedings as take place in public.
Question agreed to.