Wednesday, 6 February 2013
Questions on Notice
Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry (Question No. 2471)
asked the Minister for Agriculture, Fisheries and Forestry, upon notice, on 1 November 2012:
For each department and agency under the Financial Management and Accountability Act1997 and each Commonwealth authority under the Commonwealth Authorities and Companies Act1997 within the Minister's portfolio:
1. How many Australian Public Service full-time equivalent staff are engaged by each department, agency and authority in relation to the: (a) creation; (b) administration or management; and (c) enforcement of new or existing Acts of Parliament, legislative instruments and quasi-regulation.
2. What and how many: (a) compliance requirements; (b) industry guidelines; (c) best practice procedures; (d) codes of conduct; and (e) any other industrial manuals/documents, have been created since December 2007.
3. Was an Annual Regulatory Plan completed for each of the 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13 financial years, and will a plan be completed for the 2013-14 financial year.
4. For the 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13 financial years: (a) how many pieces of regulation, including Acts of Parliament, legislative instruments and quasi-regulation, were included in each Annual Regulatory Plan; and (b) were the same, more or fewer pieces of regulation passed as anticipated in each Annual Regulatory Plan: (i) if more, which pieces of regulation were passed in addition to the plan, and (i) if fewer, which pieces of regulation were not passed and why were they not passed.
5. Does each department, agency and authority assess the total costs associated with its regulatory measures; if so: (a) what is the total: (i) direct, and (ii) indirect, regulatory cost burden that each department, agency and authority imposes on the non-government sector; and (b) how much regulatory cost has each department, agency and authority: (i) imposed, and (ii) removed, from the non-government sector since August 2010.
6. Does each department, agency and authority impose a cost-recovery scheme on the non-government sector; if so: (a) what are the cost-recovery programs; (b) what fees are currently being imposed; and (c) in each case, by how much have these fees increased since August 2010.
The answer to the honourable senator's question is as follows:
Parts 1 and 2. Given the broad nature of the question, attempting to answer this question would cause an unreasonable diversion of resources.
Parts 3, 4 and 5. Annual Regulatory Plans are managed within the Department of Finance and Deregulation. Please refer to the response provided by the Minister of Finance and Deregulation to question 2469.
Part 6. Senator Ryan asked a similar question on 9 October 2012. Please refer to my response to QON 2347 that details the fees administered within the Agriculture, Fisheries & Forestry portfolio to the non-government sector.