Wednesday, 12 November 2008
- That the Senate—
- notes the uranium study conducted by NewsPoll for the Australian Conservation Foundation over the weekend of 1 November and 2 November 2008, which shows that:
- Australians are 2:1 against uranium exports to countries with nuclear weapons,
- 40 per cent of Australians are against the export of Australian uranium to any country for use in nuclear power plants for electricity generation,
- a majority of Australians in every state are opposed to uranium exports to countries with nuclear weapons or against any uranium exports at all, and
- results show 48 per cent of women are against uranium exports to any country, and a total of 73 per cent of women are against uranium exports to countries with nuclear weapons that have signed the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty; and
- calls on the Government to take this strong indication of public opinion into account as it makes a decision on the clear recommendations provided by the Joint Standing Committee on Treaties on the Australia-Russia uranium agreement signed by former Prime Minister Howard and the then President Putin in 2007.