Tuesday, 18 March 2008
- That the Senate—
- a bushfire in the magnificent Tarkine wilderness area in north west Tasmania had burnt 1800 hectares by 17 March 2008,
- that the fire was started in conjunction with a car accident on the ‘Road to Nowhere’ known as the Western Explorer Road, and
- the high risk of fire from opening the inaccessible area to vehicle access was identified by conservationists as a major threat and reason for objection when the road was proposed and approved by the Tasmanian Liberal Government in 1994; and
- calls on the Government to:
- urge the Tasmanian Government to close the road and convert it to a world-class cycling and walking track, and
- advance the world heritage nomination of the area to secure its permanent protection.