Tuesday, 18 September 2007
National Close the Gap Day
- That the Senate:
- notes that Tuesday, 18 September 2007 is National Close the Gap Day, a day on which Australians across the nation are coming together to show their support for closing the 17-year life expectancy gap between Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders and other Australians; and
- calls on all federal, state and territory governments to take action to achieve health equality for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders within 25 years by:
- increasing annual Indigenous health funding by $450 million to enable equal access to health services,
- increasing Indigenous control and participation in the delivery of health services, and
- addressing critical social issues, such as housing, education and self-determination, which contribute to the Indigenous health crisis.