Tuesday, 27 February 2007
I, and also on behalf of Senators Ferris, Moore and Nettle, move:
That the Senate—
- notes that
- National Ovarian Cancer Awareness Week runs from Sunday, 25 February to Sunday, 4 March 2007,
- more than 1 000 women get ovarian cancer every year,
- between 1991 and 2001 there was a 23 per cent increase in the number of new cases of ovarian cancer and other cancers of the female genital organs, and
- the relative 5 year survival rate for ovarian cancer is less than half that for breast cancer;
- draws attention to the Community Affairs Committee report Breaking the silence: A national voice for gynaecological cancers which was tabled in the Senate on 19 October 2006; and
- calls on the Government to implement the recommendations in the report.
Question agreed to.