Wednesday, 29 November 2006
Logging in Tasmania’S Weld River Valley
- That the Senate calls for a halt to all logging destruction in Tasmania’s Weld River valley until and unless:
- the Government completes a World Heritage evaluation of the forests;
- the Tasmanian Government shows that there is no prudent or feasible option to that destruction;
- an independent evaluation of the valley’s long-term economic value, including its tourism potential and carbon sink value, has been completed; and
- the full loss of water, carbon, biodiversity and honey production value from the destruction proposed is known.