Tuesday, 7 November 2006
MR Wally Foreman
I, and also on behalf of Senators Webber, Evans, Ian Campbell, Bishop, Ellison, Siewert, Murray, Eggleston, Sterle, Adams, Johnston and Lightfoot, move:
- That the Senate—
- with great sadness the passing of Mr Wally Foreman,
- that Mr Foreman will be remembered as a champion for Western Australian athletes in their efforts to gain national representation,
- that Mr Foreman was the inaugural director of the Western Australian Institute of Sport (WAIS), and an early pioneer in developing a more professional and supportive training environment for Western Australia’s high performance athletes,
- that the WAIS was the first state-based institute in Australia, and a national leader in its field under Mr Foreman’s guidance, and
- that Mr Foreman will also be remembered for his informative and incisive sports commentary during his 30 year career, covering four Olympic Games, five Commonwealth Games, and international cricket, tennis, hockey and athletics tournaments; and
- extends its deepest sympathies to Mr Foreman’s family, especially his wife Lyn and their sons, Mark and Glen.
Question agreed to.