Thursday, 10 August 2006
- That the Senate—
- recognises that the global price of oil is likely to continue to rise because of dwindling global supply, ongoing demand including from the rapidly growing economies of China and India, limited and inflexible refining capacity, interrupted supply because of climate change related storms and infrastructure damage in addition to geo-political factors;
- endorses the development of a national strategy to reduce Australia’s dependence on oil; and
- calls on the Government to:
- establish a Council of Australian Governments process to begin redesigning Australian cities with a view to investing in public transport to reduce car dependence,
- introduce mandatory vehicle fuel efficiency standards for all new motor vehicles, and
- invest in the development of alternative fuels.