House debates

Tuesday, 25 February 2020

Statements by Members


1:47 pm

Photo of Joanne RyanJoanne Ryan (Lalor, Australian Labor Party) Share this | | Hansard source

The Prime Minister has proven that there isn't a taxpayer funded program that he won't use for his own political purposes. This time it's the congestion-busting fund. This time it's high rhetoric about how we're going to help people in the suburbs to get in and out of their suburbs. I represent the seat of Lalor, one of the fastest growing areas in the country. It is a growth area that is extraordinary. We now have over 270,000 people living in the city of Wyndham. And what did we get from this government? Zero! In fact, in Victoria, coalition seats and some marginal seat received 89 per cent of the $1.26 billion allocated across Victoria, leaving 11 per cent for the rest of us. Well, nothing for Lalor. Absolutely zero. The crime here is that Lalor has the highest number of residents who commute for more than two hours a day for work. That's who we are. I have been on my feet in this chamber so many times talking about parking at train stations and talking about Labor's commitment to build the Wyndham west link and create two bridges on the edges of our city to move us in and out. This government claims we didn't ask. Well, what's the people's house for? Are you not listening?