Thursday, 20 September 2018
Suspension of Standing and Sessional Orders
On behalf of the Leader of the House, I move:
That so much of the standing orders be suspended as would prevent the following from occurring in order to facilitate the national apology to victims and survivors of institutional child sexual abuse:
(1) on Monday, 22 October 2018, private Members' business in the House to conclude at 11am, at which time the Prime Minister will move a motion of apology, without limit of time;
(2) the Leader of the Opposition to respond for a period equivalent to that taken by the Prime Minister and the debate then to be adjourned;
(3) the House to suspend following any further procedural motions in connection with the motion;
(4) the House to resume at 2.30pm for Question Time;
(5) on Tuesday, 23 October 2018, private Members' business to be scheduled from 4.30pm to 5.30pm in the Federation Chamber in place of time lost in the House on Monday, 22 October, items for consideration to be determined by the Selection Committee when it meets to determine private Members’ business for Monday, 22 October; and
(6) any variation to this arrangement to be made only by a motion moved by a Minister.
Question agreed to.