Tuesday, 15 August 2017
Great Barrier Reef
That so much of the standing and sessional orders be suspended as is necessary to allow the Manager of Opposition Business to move the following motion forthwith—
That the House:
(1) notes that the following amendment was carried by a majority of members 69 to 61:
(1) the Government is failing to protect Australia’s iconic Great Barrier Reef by:
(a) failing to act on climate change;
(b) supporting the Liberal National Party in Queensland in blocking reef protections aimed at halting the broad scale clearing of trees and remnant vegetation; and
(c) winding back ocean protection, put in place by Labor, around Australia and specifically in the Coral Sea; and
(2) this Government cannot be trusted to protect the Great Barrier Reef and fight for Australia’s unique environment.”—
(2) notes that the Manager of Opposition Business indicated to the House that the opposition would be cooperative under standing order 132;
(3) notes that, despite the cooperation of the opposition, the government gagged debate to hide its incompetence and the failure of its members to turn up for the vote; and
(4) calls on the government to end the chaos and govern for the benefit of Australians.
Do they really think this chaos is going to end while the Deputy Prime Minister is still here?
The member for Grayndler will resume his seat. It is with regret that I do this. I have warned on a number of occasions that the motion needs to be seconded. I asked the member for Grayndler to second it. I have said this a number of times. The motion lapses for want of a seconder.