Wednesday, 24 June 2009
Suspension of Standing and Sessional Orders
That so much of the standing and sessional orders be suspended as would prevent the Member for Wentworth moving immediately—That this House calls on the Government to immediately establish a full judicial inquiry into the OzCar matter including but not limited to:
- the full extent of the relationship between the Prime Minister, the Treasurer, the Member for Oxley, Mr Bernie Ripoll MP, and the car dealer, Mr John Grant, including investigation of the following:
- all communications between Mr Grant and any of his associates with the Government including members of Parliament, government officials, ministerial and electorate staff including:
- any communications, preparations and discussions in relation to the appearance of Treasury officials before the Senate Standing Committee on Economics inquiry into car dealership financing on Friday 19 June 2009;
- any involvement by Opposition Members of Parliament and their staff;
- the 51 Club;
- Labor fundraising; and
- any previous business dealings, transactions or representations in Australia and overseas involving the Prime Minister, the Treasurer and/or Mr Bernie Ripoll connected with Mr John Grant, any associates or commercial entities.
The Prime Minister has been dishonest and hypocritical—
The Leader of the Opposition will resume his seat. The Leader of the Opposition will resume his seat! First of all, before organising what is happening, I say to both sides: three days in a row. I know that you all think that this is a very serious matter. How about displaying how serious you believe it is by showing some sort of temperate relationship to each other.
Original question put:
That the motion (Mr Turnbull’s) be agreed to.
Order! Would members please resume their places or, if leaving the chamber, do so quickly and quietly. Would those members who feel obliged to conference not do so within the chamber and in the aisles. I am pleased that the minister and the member for Flinders are getting on so well.