Tuesday, 20 June 2006
Private Members’ Business
That so much of the standing and sessional orders be suspended as would prevent the Member for Calare moving immediately. That this House:
- deplores the guillotining of debate on important bills before this Parliament;
- condemns the cynical management by the Government of the business of the House;
- condemns the gagging by the Government of debate on crucial fuel tax, energy and land rights bills and the refusal to allow any non-Government amendments by Members elected to promote the best possible legislation for this country;
- calls on the Government to recognise the absolute right of all Members of Parliament—within reasonable arrangement—to properly debate and seek to amend all legislation before this House;
- condemns the by-passing of the House of Representatives as the Chamber that should allow Members to properly consider legislation and the substitution by this Government of the Senate as the only meaningful debating Chamber;
- further calls on the House to condemn the erosion of democratic processes to satisfy the political agenda of the Government;
- condemns the majority of the media for its failure to critically examine the erosion of democratic processes in this House; and
- calls on the House to rescind motion number one on today’s Notice Paper and allow proper scrutiny and debate on all legislation.
This is a dictatorship by the executive! This is a sham of democracy, and we—
Opposition members interjecting—
Original question put:
That the motion (Mr Andren’s) be agreed to.